I would love to give you a description of the mind blowing perfection that this delectable treat is, but my vocabulary is sadly lacking in adjectives that properly paint the picture of decadence that this mousse embodies. Really. Perfectly light, amazingly creamy and smooth... mmmmm. I've just finished my portion and am already plotting to make it again. Soon.
I tweaked the original recipe from a blog that I am quickly falling in love with, Sweetly Raw. Please stop by and check out the luscious desserts she concocts. You won't be disappointed.
In the meantime, I suggest putting this amazing mousse into a light cookie crumb crust or drizzling some allergy friendly chocolate sauce over the top. Or both. It was rich and truly begging for a partner to join in its decadence.
Sinful Sunbutter Mousse
1/3 c irish moss gel* (no- you can not skip this)
2/3 c unsweetened hemp milk
1/2 c sunbutter natural
1/2 c maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp himalayan salt (or kosher salt)
1 1/2 tsp golden flax meal
2 1/2 tbsp melted spectrum shortening
Blend all but the shortening on high speed in your blender until smooth and creamy. Then add the shortening and blend to incorporate.
Chill the mousse in small bowls or glasses for at least 4 hours.
*Irish Moss Gel- as instructed at SweetlyRaw.com
3/4 cup water
2 oz soaked irish moss
1. Rinse a handful of irish moss in cold water until any bits of debris have been removed. Rinse until the water runs clear.
2. Allow the moss to soak in cold water for 6-12 hours. It will greatly expand in size, so make sure to use a bowl with plenty of extra room.
3. Remove the moss from the soak water. (Original directions say not to rinse, but I rinsed again.)
4. Chop the moss and blend it with the water until it warms up and turns into a gel (you may have to scrap the sides of the blender down a few times). I added a bit at a time, and stopped when the blender got just enough liquid to run smoothly.
5. Chill the gel in the fridge for 6-7 days, or use immediately. When using in recipes where it's already chilled and firm, make sure to pack it into the cup to get a proper measurement.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, egg free, soy free, refined sugar free, and vegan. It is also hassle free and huge on flavor.